If you live in a community governed by an homeowners association (HOA) and need to have your roof replaced, it’s likely that you’ll need to seek their approval first. As a homeowner, you need to understand the rules for home exterior upgrades, especially when it comes to your choice of roofing color. Trusted roof repair and replacement contractor Quality One Roofing Inc explains more below.
Where to Find Your HOA’s Requirements
Before purchasing your new shingles, it’s a wise move to review your HOA’s rules. You can usually find this information in the CC&Rs (covenants, conditions, and restrictions), which were likely given to you when you moved in. If you can’t find your copy, they’re typically posted on your HOA’s website, or you can request a new copy from your community manager.
Adhering to HOA Rules
When it comes to your home’s exterior, the HOA’s rules aren’t just arbitrary restrictions. They are set in place to maintain a unified and appealing aesthetic within your community. This is why your HOA may have rules about your roof’s color. Not following these guidelines could, unfortunately, result in fines or the need for pricey roofing restoration jobs to correct the color.
Tips for Getting Your Preferred Color Approved
Here are a few tips to get your roof replacement plan approved by your HOA:
- Stick to the Rules. Make sure you understand the exact rules and regulations regarding roof shingle colors in your HOA’s documents. Adhering to rules may seem counterintuitive, but these have been put in place to maintain consistent visuals and preserve an aesthetically pleasing look for your home and community.
- Request Permission. Contact your HOA and request permission for the specific color you desire for your replacement roof. You may need to submit an architectural change request or similar documentation. It’s worth talking to your HOA board to understand their requirements in more detail and ask if any exceptions could be made for you.
- Gather Support. If you believe your preferred shingle color is reasonable and won’t negatively impact the neighborhood, gather support from neighbors who share your view and might be willing to vouch for your request.
- Compromise. Be open to compromise. If the HOA expresses concerns about your choice, try to find a middle ground that satisfies both your preferences and the HOA’s requirements.
- Get Professional Assistance. The roofing process can be complicated and it can be even more difficult to navigate considering the HOA rules. You’ll need professional guidance from experienced roofers. Working with an experienced roofing contractor can take the hassle out of the roofing process and give you the peace of mind that comes with knowing that your new roof will not only meet your aesthetic needs but also your HOA’s requirements.
We’re Here to Help!
Understanding your HOA’s rules can smoothen the path to achieving the desired look for your home exteriors. If you’re in Malvern, PA, or the surrounding communities, give Quality One Roofing Inc a call at (888) 301-7663. You can also visit our contact page for a quote. We’re here to make your roofing experience a breeze!